Can courts modify child support obligations?

Yes, a party can petition the court for a change in child support obligations provided that they can show a material change in circumstances. For example, if a custodial parent learns that the other parent who provides child support recently obtained a new job that pays much more money, the custodial parent can petition for an increase in child support. Likewise, if a person ordered to pay child support makes less money and the court determines such a loss in income is not his or her fault, the court might order a reduction in child support.