Can courts modify custody arrangements?

Yes, and courts frequently do so depending upon changed circumstances amongst the parents. In order for a court to change custody, in most states the court must find that there has been a material change in circumstances. This means that, for example, a custodial parent has taken up residence with a known drug abuser. That could constitute a material change in circumstances that could allow the noncustodial parent the right to regain custody.