What should I do if my grief and depression are making me think of suicide?

It is time to take aggressive action. The first thing to do is to see a psychiatrist to find out if you have developed unipolar major depression on top of your grief. If so, you need appropriate psychotherapy and medication in order for this depression to go away expediently. It is a misguided and sometimes fatal mistake to wait and wait for severe sadness to go away on its own when the real problem is a treatable episode of unipolar major depression. If your major depression has been triggered by the stress of your loss, it may go away quickly with medication or appropriate psychotherapy treatment. Then you can face any remaining grief and pass through this traumatic period naturally.